Monday, September 21, 2009

No Whey!!!

Our Family had a crazy weekend, On Friday afternoon 30 min after feeding Baby J his top lip started to swell, so I called Shane home and on his way home Baby J's bottom lip started to swell along with his cheeks and ears. Shane called 911 and the fire department came and took his vitals. He was breathing OK but he had some slight wheezing in his right lung. He also started to get hives and white welts on his arms and legs. The fire department called the pediatric clinic and spoke with the on call doctor who said that he had all the symptoms of Hand Foot & Mouth Disease & to watch him over night and take him in to the clinic in the morning. After they left Shane and I both looked at him and said we need to take him to the E.R. We called a friend to come over and help Shane give Baby J a Priesthood Blessing and while we were waiting the Pediatrician called and told us to take him to the E.R. By the time I got to the E.R. a 30min drive Baby J's symptoms had started to improve, the swelling in his lips started to go down. They took us in right away and the first thing the nurse said was that he had an allergic reaction to something. ( My sister & I had suspected he had a milk allergy that was causing his extreme eczema) They gave him a steroid injection and some benadryl & he fell fast asleep. In the end it was a whey protein allergic reaction. So mom is on a no whey diet, (milk, cheese, butter, Ice cream, Dairy of any kind & whole grains like whole wheat, oats, and barley basically everything I know and love) Baby J is as happy and healthy as ever and his skin looks amazing.
I am also proud to mention that Alex lost his first tooth, he came home from school beaming with joy holding a baggie with his little front tooth. The Tooth Fairy came, took his little tooth and left him with a dollar coin.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Oh how scary! I'm glad to hear he's doing fine now. And ya for the first lost tooth, and at school - very exciting :)

Cher said...

So I will call you everytime I eat a bowel of Ice Cream and drink my Coke!!! JK I am so sorry that is how you had to find out. And so glad that he is doing much better!. As for Zander.. CONGRATS toothless Joe!!!!

aimee said...

What a weekend it must have been. We headed in at 8:30 on the same night as you guys to get stiches in our little guys head. I hate having those scares but reminds you how precious they are to you. Hope all is well and he is feeling better.

MIA said...

Wow! Good luck with this! I'm glad baby J is doing better. Congrats Alex on the tooth!